With every New Year we make plans, create visions, and fantasize about how things should be. This year make it your time to create a healthier and more prosperous YOU. You are the only one who has the power to do this; You are the only one that can really make a difference in Your Life.
This manual is prepared for you as a guide to assist you on your way. We are here to inspire, motivate, and promote healthier choices to keep you on your path to success.
You have the Power….So Run With It!
23 Resolutions to Kick Start your Health for 2011
(These will make a difference Today, Tomorrow, and for the rest of your Life!)
1. First and foremost, You have to take care of YOU first! If YOU are not healthy, energized, happy, and vibrant how you can expect to help your family, or anyone else for that matter, become amazing individuals????
2. Food affects your mood and your energy level; you can’t afford to eat by thinking about calories only. This may help you shed some weight, but the end result of who YOU are may be sacrificed in the long run.
3. Essential Fatty Acids are Brain Food, for your brain, body, and internal organs. Load up on them through quality Organic, free Range, Pasture Fed Eggs, Raw Walnuts, Hemp and Chia Seeds, just to name a few. Your goal is to maintain a higher ratio of Omega 3 to 6 and minimize Omega 9 (from processed foods).
4. Include at least one “Superfood” into your food plan every day. Superfoods are those foods that pack a huge amount of nutrition into every bite, such as: Coconut products, Bee Products, Hemp Seeds, Chia Seeds. Maca, Goji Berries, and Spirulina, etc.
5.Increase your heart rate through movement each and every day! Kids become more receptive to learning and information if they dance around for one minute; well guess what….So Do Adults!
6. Did you get your Vitamin D Today? And I don’t mean from a pill! We have all gotten so scared of the sun that we rarely get outside, and if we do we slather our bodies with the highest level of SPF we can get our hands on. Well here’s the reality, the sun is not bad unless we continuously burn our skin in the sun. Going out for a walk for 15 – 20 minutes in sun and shade will not give us a sun burn, so don’t wear sunscreen, soak up your vitamin D, and get in a little workout!
7. If I haven’t convinced you to go “Organic” yet, would this sound appealing? Arsenic, Antibiotics, Growth Hormones, pesticides, and whatever else is available to enhance the quality and appearance of…..Conventional Chicken. I realize cost may be a factor, but if you educate yourself enough and understand the quality of various food items, you’ll be able to choose organic for the things that could affect the health of you and your family and choose conventional for the rest.
8. Want the ultimate secret of burning fat? It’s easier than you think…. First, keep your body fully hydrated throughout the day (keep your urine clear – yellow means you’re dehydrated). Next, when doing cardio or circuit training, push yourself to “almost” breathless, then back off a bit, then do it again. And finally, stay away from processed foods – even if the food label says “zero” grams of fat, it can still be stored as fat if the calories are not utilized for immediate energy.
9. Acid vs Alkaline – You will be hearing more and more about this for years to come. Processed foods, dehydration, and a wide array of others will create acid in our bodies – disease and cancer LOVE ACID. So the key here is to keep a higher Alkaline to Acid ratio (6.5-7 PH) by eating plenty of fruits and vegetables, drinking lots of water, and choosing foods for the nutrients they can give you. Here is an easy read to get you goinghttp://www.elisaact.com/pdfs/EAB_AlkalineWay.pdf
10. Think you’re on the right path for happiness and longevity? Give it a test, if anything it will inspire you to do things out of your norm. http://www.bluezones.com/live-happier/
11. Without proper Sleep, weight gain, amongst other things, is close at hand. Yes, you heard right. Optimally you need to be in bed no later than 10:30pm. From 10:30pm to 2am the body recuperated from exercise, injury and the stresses of your day. From 2am to 6am the mind gets its chance to recuperate and recharge. Without the needed sleep for bodily recuperation, the body never releases the stress of the day and in turn looks for fat as comfort.
12. Keep you Immune System rearing to Go! With only 8 teaspoons of traditional table sugar, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup or the like, your immune system can be suppressed up to 40% for 30 minutes all the way to 5 hours. So….better think twice before indulging with that soda or candy bar or anything else that satisfies you sweet tooth.
13. Did you know that bad posture will limit your oxygen supply, therefore inhibiting some of your fat burning potential during cardiovascular exercise? It’s time to sit, stand, and walk with pride, keep the shoulders back, the chest up, and the abdomen held tightly in. They say it takes 21 days to create a habit, so start now, put posted signs everywhere to remind you and do what it takes to stand tall!
14. How many greens have you had today? Yes, Greens – Green leafy vegetables that are packed with essential nutrients, fiber, and protein. If you can’t get in that salad, try mixing in some kale or collard greens next time you make a smoothie. It may sound strange, but it’s a great way to pack in the nutrients and with the right amount of fruit you won’t even know it’s there!
15. The ANDI Score is an easy way to maximize you’re nutritional intake, check it out athttp://www.eatrightamerica.com/andi-superfoods or for those of you who frequent the Whole Foods Market, next time you’re in the produce section look carefully at the tag that lists the item and the price. On the bottom corner you’ll see the ANDI Score. The higher the score the more nutritional punch a particular fruit or vegetable will give you. With a score of 1000, you’ll know that you’re getting a nutritional powerhouse.
16. Are your workouts taking you where you want to go? With or without a trainer, your workouts should be moving your body towards your goals or maintaining the body you’re proud of. If they are not, it’s time to make a plan, and I mean a real plan. One that you write down and set up just as you would any strategic plan. Strength, posture, and lean muscle mass are vital components to longevity and health.
17. Intestinal Health has become a huge business these days; processed foods have disrupted our intestinal flora and made way for a breeding ground of bad bacteria and more. Probiotics are essentially “good bacteria” and assists the body in combating the bad bacteria and bringing back health to the digestive track. A healthy digestive track will assist the body in assimilating all of the wonderful nutrients from our foods. You can supplement your Probiotics or you can add fermented foods and beverages such as Kombucha.
18. Weight training is not going to give you body builder type muscles unless you are training for that or you are blessed with some amazing “muscle” genes. In order to receive the benefits of weight training you must continuously increase weight. Increasing weight is what will challenge the muscle so that it will always remain strong. Sets of 8-10 reps 2-3 times will give you strength and enhance your lean muscle mass. More than 12 reps will actually start to tear down muscle tissue, which will lead to a decrease in strength.
19. Do you have a specific “Stress Management” routine/ritual other than food? Yes, I said food – most people unconsciously aim for the refrigerator to combat stress. Instead, make yourself a set plan –a hobby, yoga, a walk in the park, or a cup of tea and a book – something that will take your mind completely away from the day, even for a moment, so that you can bring yourself back to a balanced state. Use food for nutrients, not for comfort!
20. Are you surrounded by people who enhance your life or drain your energy? Think about it, this is your life, make every moment count and truly enjoy every relationship you have. You have the power to choose the people you surround yourself with, and you have the power to make sure each day is more enriching than the last.
21. Did you know that your Adrenal Glands are your “energy regulators”. These glands can provide you with unlimited energy throughout the day as long as you take good care of them. The best way to do this is to get adequate rest at night and avoid foods and beverages that provide a “false sense of energy”, such as flour, sugar, dairy, and caffeine. That’s right, that bagel may be altering your energy level for your day. Since flour, dairy, and sugar all metabolize like a sugar they create a type of “energy spike” and depending on how much sugar is involved will determine how high the spike is. With each spike comes a fall, and some falls are bigger than others. You should have an even amount of energy throughout the day, if you find yourself falling asleep at your desk around that 3:00pm hour; your adrenal glands may be sleeping on the job and looking for a bit of TLC from you. For more information on Adrenal Fatigue http://www.adrenalfatigue.org/about-adrenal-fatigue.html
22. Minerals seem to be falling short in so many food plans these days. With the big scare of “too much” salt, we have all minimized just about everything. The reality is that unprocessed salt brings with it an array of minerals that the body needs, unfortunately processed salts strip away much needed nutrients from our system and have helped to give salt a bad name. Salts such as Celtic Sea Salt can provide you with such trace minerals as sodium, magnesium, calcium, potassium, selenium, copper, zinc, iron, and manganese. Proper electrolyte balance in the body can maximize you health in so many ways.
23. And last but not least…Don’t let another year pass by with a list of all the things you should do for you to maximize your health and well being. Only you can take charge for you, and you don’t do any good for the others around you if you are not truly happy with how you feel, look, and function in your day to day routine. I can’t stress this enough, we all spend countless hours helping all of those who are around us and then we leave ourselves with almost nothing. TAKE TIME FOR YOU AND MAKE YOURSELF THE BEST THAT YOU CAN BE!
Homework Assignment for 2011:
Make a Vision Board – Use magazine pictures, inspirational sayings or anything that you can glue to a board. Make a collage of who you want to be, where you want to go in life, and how you want to live. Use as many things as possible to be completely clear with your objective. Next, frame it and place it somewhere that you can see it every day, a place that will remind you to “keep on track”, a place that will add inspiration to your day.
And lastly, stick to your plan, enjoy the journey, and make each day count!
And one last thing, although I am not a proponent of Coca Cola, this one is worth the mention:
A thirty second speech by Bryan Dyson, former CEO of Coca Cola Imagine life as a game in which you are juggling some five balls in the air. They are Work, Family, Health, Friends, and Spirit and you’re keeping all of these in the air.
You will soon understand that work is a rubber ball. If you drop it, it will bounce back. But the other four Balls – Family, Health, Friends and Spirit – are made of glass. If you drop one of these; they will be irrevocably scuffed, marked, nicked, damaged or even shattered. They will never be the same. You must understand that and strive for it.
Work efficiently during office hours and leave on time. Give the required time to your family, friends and have proper rest.
Value has a value only if its value is valued.
This was taken from the TGIT newsletter from Life Coach, Barry Gottlieb
Now remember I am here to help, Click HERE for my exercise videos and Click HERE for Nutritional Coaching to get you on the right path for health and longevity
In Peace, Love, and Health, Adita
Let me know what you’d like to see for future posts or recipes in the comments section below. And don’t forget to SHARE this with all your peeps, Thank You!
©Copyright 2016, Adita Lang Adita Lang works with individuals and groups to maximize their health through exercise and nutrition, both through Coaching and Public Speaking. Feel free to email me: Adita@NutritionalBrilliance.com