Updated: May 12
For whatever reason, just about any family tradition include a good apple pie. Well guess what, not all apple pies have to be considered junk food. A traditional apple pie will bring with it 237 calories per slice and 34 grams of carbohydrates. Here's my gluten free version to enjoy with no guilt at all. Mine will provide a simple 67 calories per slice and 10 carbohydrates, not to mention the array of vitamins and minerals that still remain.
Here's what you'll need
1/4 cup Pumpkin Seeds (sprouted seeds will provide more nutrition, just FYI)
2/3 cup rinsed Millet
1/2 cup Apple Juice (if you have a juicer, put it to work. If not choose a juice with no added sugar)
1 teaspoon Cold-Pressed Coconut Oil
7 medium Apples, grated with a grater or a food processor (any kind that you like, Fiji and honey crisp and my favorites)
1/8 teaspoon Celtic Sea Salt
1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1 tablespoon Arrowroot (this is natural thickener)
1/4 cup halved Cranberries
Fresh Mint Leaves for garnish
*Choosing Organic for ALL the ingredients is best.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. In a food processor or coffee grinder, coarsely grind the pumpkin seeds.
3. Combine the pumpkin seeds with the millet in a bowl. Place apple juice in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Pour over the pumpkin seed/millet mixture and stir well.
4. Grease the pie dish with coconut oil and pour mixture in, using a wooden spoon to push mixture along the sides of your dish. This is your crust, so be sure to evenly spread the mixture.
5. In a separate bowl, combine the grated apples, salt, cinnamon, and arrowroot. Mix these well and spoon the mixture into your pie crust, being sure to smooth the top.
6. Take the cranberry halves and organize them face down to cover the entire pie.
7. Cover the pie with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
8. Allow the pie to cool completely before slicing. Garnish with mint leaves adds that extra touch of flavor and nutrients.
In Peace, Love, and Health, Adita
©Copyright 2019, Adita Lang. Adita Lang works with individuals and groups to maximize their health through exercise and nutrition. She is available for Coaching and Public Speaking.
Click HERE for a FREE 30-minute consultation to jumpstart your health. For questions or booking, please email her at info@AditaLang.com.
For recipes, lifestyle tips, and more visit her at www.AditaLang.com.